Fittings for gas pipes got veneer of rust during pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Installed new black pipe for gas. Plumber will hook it up to meter and appliances. Pumped it up to 15psi for pressure test. Was fairly shocked a few hours later to see a veneer of corrosion on the fittings, like they had been there for years. There is a slow leak that I need to find, pressure is going down over a period of hours. I am guessing that as it depressurizes, the water vapor in the compressed air is condensing. Still should I be worried about that corrosion appearing on the outside? The metal is from the local plumbing supply store, US/Canadian not Chinese.

I am kinda wishing now I had installed galvanized fittings.

Edit: The rust has a distinctly localized look to it. E.g. on the elbows, it follows the weld line along the spine of the elbow.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Sounds like surface rust from condensation due to temperature differential. Forget about it.

Black pipe was born to rust.

The surface rust protects from deeper rusting. Elbows are cast as far as I know and do not have a weld line. That's a die line.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
ballvalve:
>>>Elbows are cast as far as I know and do not have a weld line. That's a die line.<<<

You can't use cast on a gas line!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I was not discussing "cast iron" .....You can cast steel just as you cast cast iron. Elbows are not fabricated with welds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks