Furnace problem- expansion valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Hurley

Reaction score
I have an H.B. Smith & Co. furnace that is pretty old. Last year, our expansion valve was leaking water behind the furnace. Our oil dealer came in and drained the expansion tank and replaced the expansion valve. It has lasted almost a year, but now with the cold weather coming, the furnace is working more, and it is leaking again. The expansion tank was full again, and I drained it myself, but the valve is still leaking. Any advice?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

The logical assumption is that you did not drain it properly. The long term solution might be a "precharged" expansion tank, but if so, then you may have to make other arrangements for any air evacuation devices which may have been installed to divert air into your existing tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks