PDA

View Full Version : Leaking p-trap joint and canít unscrew nut

ikaurs
10-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I replaced my kitchen sink and garbage disposer and intended on swiveling the p-trap to line up with the new disposer. I thought the p-trap was attached with a slip joint connection and all I would have to do is loosen the slip joint nut. However, the nut wonít move. I was still able to swivel the trap slightly, and of course now there is a drip coming from that joint. Any recommendations on how to fix? Thanks.

hj
10-01-2010, 09:49 AM
IT is a "union nut" not a "slip joint" and they are often very difficult to loosen, and often when you do the nut cracks. Since it is a union joint, "moving" it does make it leak unless you can tighten the nut further, or take it apart and use a suitable joint compound on it.

ikaurs
10-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Since I donít think it can get any tighter, should my next step be to try turning the union nut (counterclockwise?) with Channel-Locks until it either comes loose or something breaks, and then go from there?

jimbo
10-01-2010, 12:30 PM
The nut is captive on the U, so the male threads are on the wall elbow. Make sure you are turning the right direction.

hj
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
You can try it, but I would just cut it off and redo the whole thing using tubular trap and fittings instead of sch. 40 glued ones.