Confused By Diverter Valve Instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
I had previously bought an American Std Two Handle Shower Only Faucet Set along with a Two Way In Wall Diverter- 1660.440- to transition from overhead shower head to an in wall hand held shower.

The diverter has two outlets and one is marked as bathtub and instructions indicating more flow for bath fill.

Can I use this diverter or is there another model for use with shower(s) only? Which shower head should receive more pressure, the overhead I assume?

THANX!

GARY

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The diverter has the capability of delivering more water to the "tub" outlet, but the shower heads will reduce it to the point where the flow is the same for both. As far as pressure, the higher device will have slightly less pressure because of its elevation, but you will never notice the difference.

KULTULZ

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Reaction score
The diverter has the capability of delivering more water to the "tub" outlet, but the shower heads will reduce it to the point where the flow is the same for both. As far as pressure, the higher device will have slightly less pressure because of its elevation, but you will never notice the difference.

So it can be used on a SHOWER ONLY install?

THANX!

Gary

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes as long as it has a positive shutoff on either side, which that one seems to do. If it were similar to a "pull up" diverter, then it would only positive shutoff the tub side, which means that a hand held would create a back pressure and water would come from both devices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks