New Toto flapper closes too fast

Users who are viewing this thread

floydrd

Reaction score
I just replaced a leaky fill valve for a Drake toilet. All went well. I decided to replace the flapper while I was in there since it looked rough. It had all kinds of issues before.

Now, there are no leaks and everything works fine, IF I hold down for two or three seconds when I flush. On a normal flush, the flapper falls down immediately.

I have the chain very short. What else can I do so I won't have to hold it down when I flush?

Thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank uses only some of the water.
A tank will hold up to 3 gallons of water, but the flapper is timed to drop quickly to prevent using more then 1.6 gallons.
That is normal.

floydrd

Reaction score
I know it won't use all of the water. I had read about it from various posts and such.

But, if I just do the standard push down of the handle, not enough water comes down to affect what is in the bowl. It just adds a little more water but not enough to do 'the job'.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Then you may have dislodged the black tube that is pointed down the overflow tube.
This fills up the bowl after a flush, if the bowl is empty, then flushing only fills the bowl, but it won't empty the bowl.

inside_tank_cst744s.jpg

Last edited:

floydrd

Reaction score
I definitely dislodged the black tube, and all else. I replaced the whole fill valve and put the new tube in just to make sure. It was beginning to look rough on the ends.

It is safely pointing down the flush tube and does fill up the bowl.

The problem occurs when I press down on the handle. The 'stuff' in the bowl, stays in the bowl. Not enough water goes away to move the contents of the bowl. If I hold down on the level a couple of extra seconds, all is well.

How can I make the flapper allow more water to pass before it closes?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How can I make the flapper allow more water to pass before it closes?

You DON'T. All you can do is get a different flapper, assuming yours is installed correctly, which is usually the case.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'll get shouted down but it's a chain adjustment issue. A little slack is what you need. It's snapping shut too fast.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Naw, but it could be a plugged bowl if the siphon isn't pulling it down.
Have you wadded up some paper towels, and then poured a five gallon bucket into the bowl?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks