How Do I Add A Drain In A Slab House

Users who are viewing this thread

jd8450

Reaction score
I want to move my washing machine into a heated back room in my garage. It is curently in the kitchen which is about 15-20 feet away. The house is on a concrete slab and I would like to avoid puting the pipes in the foundation.

Could I run the pipes in a coduit covered with sheet rock from the wet wall and pump the gray water over to the main stack from the room behind the garage?

All comments/ideas welcome.

JD

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

That is one way to do it, but maybe not the best way, but only a plumber at the house could tell you if there is a better way. Pumps should only be used as a last resort when there is absolutely no other way to accomplish the task.

A

alhurley

Is this one of those new slabs with the tensioning cables embedded in the concrete? that migh qualify as a "last resort" given the difficulty in dealing with them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
post tension slabs

"Difficulty"? How about "impossibility"" since they will void the warranty if the slab is drilled or cut. As an aside, we were drilling holes in a tensioned slab once. The slab had been x-rayed to locate the cables, and the holes were marked to miss them. The driller had quoted a total price based on the core bit lasting for 6 six holes each, but the concrete was so hard that he was only getting 2 per bit. Then as he was drilling a hole about 30 feet from where I was standing I felt the concrete vibrate, his drill made a funny sound, and when he pulled the bit out there was nothing on the end of it. He had hit one of the cables.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks