How much pressure is too much?

Users who are viewing this thread

justinae

Reaction score
We had a 1" line installed from the steet to the house. We then installed a MANABLOC manifold and hooked up a pressure guage to test leaks. It's reading 85 psi. The good news is that it has held steady for several days. But is that too much pressure for the manifold and to feed all the lines. Should I install a pressure regulator?

thanks much,
Justin

justinae

Reaction score
I think it sounds like a good idea. What is an ideal pressure? House has one 1 toilet, 3 sinks, 1 tub/shower, 3 hose bibs. It's less than 1000 sq. ft.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The size of the house has nothing to do with ideal pressure. Excessive pressure will put a strain on toilet valves and clothes and dishwasher valves, and high pressure is not need anywhere in the home. 40 psi is about as low as you would want, 65 to 70 is more than plenty. I set my PRV and thermal expansion tank pressure at 50 psi, but I have two outside hose bibs that take off before the PRV so they have 90 psi with a 3/4" pipe, but that is way too much for inside.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother. That's in the high-end of normal where I live.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Problem is....how much does the street pressure vary....does it go up at night to say 100???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your pressure gauge doesn't have a 'tattle-tale' that shows the max reading, pick one up, then leave it attached overnight to see what happens. Often, at night, when most people aren't using water, the pressure goes up. The water company may also raise the pressure to refill water towers, so a one-time check of 85, may not represent reality.

justinae

Reaction score
really helpful stuff. so given that water pressure may spike, cost is probably less than $50, it sounds like a good "insurance" policy to me. I don't have a tattle tale pressure gauge, just a regular one.

thanks,
Justin

Reaction score
All good points. Went through the same thing with my home with regards to pressure. It had a PRV that was failing set at full output around 75-80 psig, but the home had no thermal expansion tank. When I hooked up a gauge that would show max pressure, I found it spiking to around 120 after water heater recovery from showers.. Since it had been like that for 14 years before I bought the house, I was ready to live with it. However, after putting in new toilets the pressure began spiking to 150 plus and popping the relief valve on the water heater--the old toilet fill valves had been acting as pressure relief around 120. So I went ahead and installed a small thermal expansion tank while having the PRV replaced. Runs nice and steady now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks