Noisy ice maker

Users who are viewing this thread

metropxp

Reaction score
The line to our ice maker comes off the cold water supply of the kitchen faucet, into a filter and then to a Sears/Kenmore with the freezer on top. (Don't know if any of this matters, but wanted to be thorough.)

My problem is whenever it fills it makes this really loud squealing noise. The plumber who did the install told me to change the filter. Done, and I've made sure the water flow is in the proper direction. Still noisy. I've also tried adjusting the supply valve (barely open, one turn, fill bore, etc.) All the same results...the ice dumps, the water comes on, the squealing starts and our two and a half year old son gives me a "what the hell is that?!" look.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm hopeful the solution is not to turn the damn thing off and buy 3-4 ice trays. :)

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How does the water come off the cold water supply? Did they use a saddle valve or did they plumb in a 'real' valve? A loose washer in a valve can make some nasty sounds. To avoid all of that, I prefer 1/4-turn ball valves. A supply valve should be either off or fully on. But if it is a multi-turn valve, especially if it is only partially open, the washer can vibrate. Might be as simple as removing the stem and tightening the screw holding the washer in place. But, if it is a saddle valve, the plumber did you no favors - they almost always fail eventually. Put in a 'real' valve, and the problem may go away.

Also, the filter could be a source of the problems. Is there any way to bypass it? You might try that. Or, take the filter cartridge out (if it wil still pass water), and see if that is causing the issue.

metropxp

Reaction score
It is a real valve. I, too, like 1/4-turn ball valves. The plumber ripped out my two-year old 1/4-turn valves in the bathrooms and put in multi-turn valves. I'll try changing out the filter again.

metropxp

Reaction score
So I changed the filter, flushed it twice as instructions stated, and it still squeals when filling. No problems, incidentally, during the filter flush process, so does that mean the problem is somewhere between the filter and the ice maker? The thing really is loud.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Might be as simple as removing the stem and tightening the screw holding the washer in place.

Have you EVER seen a "modern" fixture angle valve that has a washer retained by a screw? If so it must be an off brand because all the name brand valves have the washer snapped onto a stud.

Do you also have a water dispenser? If so, and it does not make the noise, then the problem is in the refrigerator.

metropxp

Reaction score
A few months further along and the ice maker still squeals. HJ, I do not have a water dispenser, just the ice maker. I'm wondering if it is something between the connection at the back of the fridge and the ice maker. We actually don't use a lot of ice, so we put up with the squealing for a little bit, then turn off the ice maker. When the ice is almost gone, we repeat the process. It has come to the forefront again because we are planning a holiday party and the missus doesn't want the high pitched squeal throughout the party.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Use a garden hose with somebody listening at the other end to precisely locate the source of the squeal.

Another way to locate this noise is to press on things; it may damp out the squeal. If it works the fix may be mounting a rubber bushing to press on the part.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks