p trap height

Users who are viewing this thread

dawgtime

Reaction score
I am installing a new bathroom vanity in my upstairs bathroom and the height of the trap is to low and hits the middle shelf and storage on the vanity. I have the wall opened up and there is a clean out tee and just above that is the other tee and that branches off to the trap. What I was wondering. Can I cut the vent stack above the clean out and raise the other tee so my p trap will be high enough to clear the shelf. The pipe is black pvc and the p trap is white.

dawgtime

Reaction score
Hey man thank you so much brother. So the black pipe is called abs? What I have now is black, but when the 90 comes out of the wall there is a short bit of the black pipe then a white coupling of some sort then the p trap. How should i continue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Use ABS in the wall, and pick up an ABS trap adapter to glue onto the ABS.
Then you can use any slip joint p-trap, which most plumbers will use the white PVC.
The PVC traps I buy come with the ABS trap adapter in the bag.
They don't sell them that way in big box stores.

dawgtime

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much it means alot to me to get great replies like this and really learn something as well

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks