Drain tile Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Casman

Reaction score
I have an estimate from a waterproofing contractor wherein it is indicated that the drain tile is believed to be clogged, resulting in 3 water leaks in the basement of a home. It is also written on the estimate "hand cable drain tile $150.00, and a note about a cleanout." The estimate then goes on to propose replacement of the drain tiles bla, bla, bla, and an overall price of $2,500.00. Three weeks later, I have another estimate from the same waterproofer, outlining the same work, estimate sheets appear identical except for the date, now with a price of $5,000. The parties have no knowledge that I possess the 1st estimate. Here's the Q. Can the drain tile be cabled in an attempt to cure the problem? Is that a regular thing that is done? As I see it, its like a clogged drain, it can potentially be snaked to fix, or you can estimate and pay thousands to have all the lines dug up and replaced? At this point, no attempts to cable drain tile have been made.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
basement leaks

You can't snake subsoil drains.
You may need to waterproof the basement walls because water may get trapped against the outside wall and not get down to the subsoil drain.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Not Enough Info

I built houses on the East cost with 8 ft basemants on level land. no place for water to drain,unless you use a sump and pump.

in marin county we have hills and crawl spaces. on new structures , we have surface clean outs. they can be snaked to day lite. i,m guessing you have a full basement. if so. you will need to excavate to found. footing,

install a Paraseal membrane ,with bentonite, Tremco inc. also new drainage
with a sump pump. I do this work . $ 5000 would not cover this work.

good luck

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain tile

You could not "hand cable" anything for $150.00 much less a plugged drain tile system. IFyour drain tiles are plugged, and it would have to have been the poorest installation ever done for it to happen, there is not cure except to dig up an replace the system. But when you consider that a proper drain tile system is normally bedded in gravel, the drain tile pipe itself can become redundant since the water should also flow through the gravel if the pipes somehow become plugged.

Casman

Reaction score
This home was built in the 50's, I am unsure what is meant by Hand Cable 150.00. There is no sump pump, and I don't even know if in fact there is drain tile. How would a waterproofer know if there was one? This is a leaky basement case where the basement leaks after it rains alot and first leaked after 14 inch snowstorm. Given the 2 estimates, I think the plaintiff is trying to pump up the damages....They've gone from 2,500 to 5,000 plus 8000 to replace the flooring

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks