I.D. of Wirsbo 3/4" fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Benze

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any Wirsbo 3/4" fittings lying around and could measure the I.D. of them for me please. I was told yesterday that even the Wirsbo fittings were a smaller I.D. than the same sized copper. Ie: that to get the true equiv of 3/4" copper, one had to use 1" AquaPEX. I know that with crimped PEX (ex: HydroPex, or SuperPEx), that you have that issue, but from what I understood, the I.D. Wirsbo fittings were the same size as the actual pipe (ie: 3/4" was 3/4" inch).

Can anyone measure a 3/4" fitting and confirm please?

Thanks,

Eric

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The tubing itself is smaller than the equivalent size copper tubing, regardless of how much the fittings further reduce the size. The tubing size is more important than the fitting size, since the fittings only affect the flow for a very short distance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Because on the WIrsbo system, you expand the pipe to fit over the fitting, the ID can be larger than on one you have to insert into the stock tubing. I haven't looked, but have you checked their website - they may have some line drawings or specs that show the size.

Benze

Reaction score
Because on the WIrsbo system, you expand the pipe to fit over the fitting, the ID can be larger than on one you have to insert into the stock tubing. I haven't looked, but have you checked their website - they may have some line drawings or specs that show the size.

Thanks for the idea; I actually did just check the Uponor site for the specs on AquaPEX 3/4". Interestingly enough, the ID of the actual pipe os 0.671" - roughly 3/5" - not 3/4" as I was expecting.

So now the question becomes if it is worth using 3/4" AquaPEX or use 1" (1" ID is 0.862"). And if the goal is to replace 3/4" copper with an equivalent PEX, should it be 1" AquaPEX, or is 1" HydroPEX good enough in that case (assuming that the goal to use AquaPEX is to lose less with the ID of the fittings). If moving to 1" either way, I assume that the 3/4" ID for the Hydropex fittings would be good enough....

Or, maybe the more important question is does the 0.08" diameter difference between 3/4" AquaPEX and 3/4" copper really make that much of a difference?

Thanks!

Eric

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
While AquaPex is slightly smaller than the nominal equivalent copper, it's generally considered a wash versus the same nominal-sized copper, because you potentially eliminate multiple couplings/fittings and you have smooth bends rather than hard 90ºs. In a really circuitous run, you could even see an increase in flow rate vs copper.

But if you really want to improve flow at your fixtures, instead of a branch-system do a manifold-system where each fixture has a home-run back to the water heater and main supply. This has two benefits --

(a) you're often able to cut the (flow-restricting) fittings down to one at each end of the run

(b) fixtures don't effect each other, elimnating the typical "DON'T FLUSH THE TOILET WHILE I'M IN THE SHOWER!!!!" situation common in most homes (assuming you have sufficient flow/pressure at your main)

As for sticks of PEX vs rolls -- Bah! -- you're talking to a plumber who's trying to make a new technology work like what he's used to. One of the big benefits of PEX is the ability to weave it through a structure, making minimal impact on both the water flow AND the structure's framing. My guess is he doesn't like the way the rolls take up space in his van and/or he had a bad experience trying to spool out a roll working solo.

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Home run manifold system is very costly. Better off doing modified manifold where distribution manifolds are fed with proper sized mains and then short runs of 1/2 go to the fixtures. Manifolds are typically installed close to the fixtures served. You can find details in Uponors field installation manual.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Home run manifold system is very costly. Better off doing modified manifold where distribution manifolds are fed with proper sized mains and then short runs of 1/2 go to the fixtures. Manifolds are typically installed close to the fixtures served. You can find details in Uponors field installation manual.

I agree -- I was confusing this poster with another using the same avatar and also asking about 3/4" PEX, who was complaining about flow at a specific fixture - thus the suggestion to home-run it.

Benze

Reaction score

It's a great practice when doing huge renos or new construction. But in case of smaller renos, I can't see something like that working. If I take my case, for instance, I am seeing problems of water distribution / pressure scattered in the house. It isn't bad, mind you, just not as good as I would like. Given that I am redoing my basement, I figured I would start down there and make the plumbing good. The rest of the house isn't being touched, and have no plans to do it.

In a way, I'm a little lucky. Kitchen runs direct to the basement. Master Bath runs direct to the basement. Kids bathroom, not so lucky. Pipes first feed powder room, then flow to kids bathroom. All runs are 1/2" copper.

I could potentially run a mini-manifold system in the basement, where I run the Master Bath, Kitchen and Power/Kids Bth to the manifold, but is that really going to give me that much more value that just tee'ing off the 3/4" incoming line to the individual branches?

Thanks,

Eric

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
value in that less tee's and fittings are needed, thereby less restriction and less chance of leaks. Besides the plastic manifolds are cheap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks