View Full Version : Any leads on how to find this backer plate?

08-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi. I am trying to replace my tub and shower fixtures and prefer to just replace what I've got rather than do some additional plumbing work. My plumber seems to have found everything I need except this backer plate. It is approximately 5" x 11" and has a recessed area where the shower handle goes. I may have a lead online but wanted to pose the question here, too. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, the blue gunk is toothpaste. I'm trying to use any remedy possible to clean off the hard water stains. If I can't replace it, any thoughts on how to really clean it would also be helpful.

08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
American Standard "push/pull", but it has been obsolete so long that I have forgotten the series name. Parts are very unlikely to be available.

08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
It looks like Plumbmaster's 27240 might be the escutheon you need.

08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
My parents home had those installed in the 60's
American Standard.
They worked well for years.

I wound up replacing with a new Moen Posi-Temp.
I changed out three tub or shower valves to pressure balanced.
Much better when someone was at the kitchen sink while a body was in the shower.

08-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Unfortunately, Plumbmaster only sells to plumbing contractors who have an account with them.

08-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks all. I *think* I may have just found my plate thingy online!!!

We are trying to avoid doing any major plumbing work because of cost. We also live in a neighborhood where homes like ours get torn down, so it's hard to put a lot of money into repairs. Of course, it is quite possible the plumbers will come with their retro parts and tell me I have no choice but to do major work, so we will deal with it if it happens.