Bathtub Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

snowbird0103

Reaction score
The house is 18 years old. We have just noticed a 1.5 inch diameter watermark on the ceiling directly under the bathtub. It must have just recently started. The unit is a fiberglass tub/shower unit. There is no access panel behind the unit.
Thanks for any info.
Ed :confused:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

Could be the w/o on the tub. But I'll bet it's in the bathroom.
Take the spout and escutcheons off and clean up the wall. Seal the holes with plumbers putty and reinstall.
Then clean and dry the whole area and with a small sponge or nice cotton rag, wipe in some polyseamseal calk around those fittings. Wipe it in nice and neat..
The other weak spot is you, your curtain or shower door.
Keep the floor dry.
Water doesn't have to puddle so look real close to the front part of the apron of the tub and see if you see water during or after showering.

TheZster

Reaction score
You're right! You've got a bathtub leak. Probably going to involve a little demo to find the problem. If I were to guess.. I would say that removing the "watermark" section of drywall is going to be in order to access the drain system. But - wait till the real pro's chime in with their thoughts.....

snowbird0103

Reaction score
I used the plumbers putty and polyseamsealed all areas. Still have a leak. Have a plunger type tub stop and could not pull it out to clean.
Any thoughts.
Ed :(

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
tub

Is this a second floor tub?
Can you make an access?
I never understood why, behind a bath tub, there would be no access doors.
If you could get close enough to see, you could fill the tub and then let the water drain.
If you're sure that there is no leak at the tub wall, or at the floor next to the tub, then it must be in an area that demands an access. You need to be able to see in that area.
Or else you will need to do a ceiling repair.

snowbird0103

Reaction score
Bahtub leak

The tub is on the second floor. I can make an access to the tub via the closet behind it.
Ed

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

That's prefect. Get a good light.
When you start looking, look real good for water stains other than the top side of the ceiling below. Your well on your way.
Then just square the hole and cut a scrap piece of paneling and use 4 small screws to tack it in place.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

You might as well check it all out.
Looking from the access, did you notice any wettness or water marks up where the faucet goes through the wall?
Or where the overflow fits against the tub?
Or in the floor at the apron of the bath tub?
Continue to test by throwing water at the faucet and overflow from the bathtub side. Just in case someone bathes and fills the tub to the point of overflow, you fill it up and look.

snowbird0103

Reaction score
Holy Mackerel. It at one time leaked from the back collar for the faucet, the diverter pipe, and the overflow by the straight pipe that goes to the trap. Will splash water, since I hopefully took care of these as my first step in plumber putty and polyseamseal. Will also check tub draining for trap leak.
Thanks for you advice. Will report further.
Ed

snowbird0103

Reaction score
Poured 2 gallons of water over faucet plate and faucet. It leaks in the back collar and could possibly be the main leak since it travelled down the diverter pipe, the overflow pipe to the trap and down to the trap. I thought I polyseam sealed properly, perhaps I did not.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

You have to take the handles and escutcheons off the faucet.
Now here's where your plumbers putty goes.
Unscrew your spout if you can and seal the hole where the nipple comes through the wall.
Once you get it all back together, use your Polyseamseal and wipe it all nice and neat and it should look good and not leak.......
Don't forget to check the overflow........

snowbird0103

Reaction score
After checking for leaks for three days, I am happy to report that the problem is solved. I particularly would like to thank Plumber 1 for sharing his knowledge and helping me solve the problem.
Ed :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks