Terrible water flow coming from new tub/shower set - HELP!!

Users who are viewing this thread

virtualblues

Reaction score
I replaced an old, leaking American Standard tub/shower set with a new American Standard #3275. Since the replacement, the tub/shower flow, both hot and cold, is just 1 gallon per minute. Takes FOREVER to fill the tub, 5 minutes to fill a 5-gallon bucket. When I pull the valve cartridge and let the pipe flow open, it blasts out about 8 - 10 gallons per minute - much like Old Faithful. I'm suspecting the valves are too restrictive. Went to Home Depot, where I purchased the fixture, they couldn't explain the lack of pressure nor do they stock replacement parts. I called American Standard and they said the new valves are obstructed with debris. They are sending me replacements valve cartridges p/n A954120-0070A, which is nice. However, I completely disassembled the valves I have and they are as clean as a whistle nor is there debris backed up behind the valves. I need plumbing advice. Any and all appreciated. Thanks. pk

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
American Standard lists 10gal. per minute at the spout IF you have 20lbs. of incomming pressure, thats all I have.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I doubt that a fire hose would give 10 gpm at 20 psi. And I doubt that ANY tub/shower valve would either.

Don't know what to tell you HJ, I got that info from American Standards Spec Sheet, out of curiosity I checked my own (15 Year Old Moen) it's putting out almost 6gpm with both valves open.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1/2" copper pipe will certainly deliver 6 to 7 GPM with a reasonable house pressure. It will deliver more than that, but with excessive velocity and loss.

For OP.....you said you get lots of water with the cartridge removed. That might lead us to suspect the pipe leading from the valve down to the spout. What material is that pipe and what size?

You might need to devise a method to see if it is clogged. Remove the spout, see if you can pass a stiff wire back up through/

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I doubt that a fire hose would give 10 gpm at 20 psi. And I doubt that ANY tub/shower valve would either.
The flow gauges on fire trucks have a lot of zeros after the numbers!

fire-truck-jimbo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

virtualblues

Reaction score
BINGO - Thanks, jimbo!

For OP.....you said you get lots of water with the cartridge removed. That might lead us to suspect the pipe leading from the valve down to the spout. What material is that pipe and what size?

You might need to devise a method to see if it is clogged. Remove the spout, see if you can pass a stiff wire back up through/

Thanks, jimbo - - I used a brass swivel female connection to back flush, up the copper tub spout, out the cartridge/valve hole with garden hose pressure. (I only did the hot side as I have a shut off valve at the hot water heater) Some debris came out. Not a lot. Put it back together. It did the trick. Now I easily have 8 - 10 gals per minute at the tub. Thanks for the idea. pk

coldbeep

Reaction score
Thank You

Thank you virtual and bingo!!! I didnt even have a user id but got one just to thank you. I had the same problem you did (no pressure with my american standard 3275) I flushed the hot side thru the spout just like you did and shazaaammm!!! my problems are over. Ive been dealing on and off with this problem for about a year now. This is truly what the internet was designed for: to help people with similar problems find reasonable solutions!! Thanks again!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fire trucks also have several zeros in their "pressure gauges" also. Back in the Chicago area, one of the volunteer fire departments had a bunch of guys built like line backers. Our fire department crew went to help them on a fire, and when they grabbed a hose and turned it on, it threw them backwards onto the ground. The chief went to see what went wrong and when he checked the pumper they had it screwed up to 325#. THEIR men could hold the hoses at that psi. The chief told them to crank it down before a hose broke and someone got killed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks