PDA

View Full Version : Installing a sink tailpiece

bp77
07-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I installed the sink about a year ago, looked under the sink and the tail piece looks like it has a tiny leak where it threads into the drain (the part that attaches to the bottom of the sink). So I took it off and the p-trap, cleaned everything off.

I applied some oatey pipe compount #31226, grey, and then wrapped 3 times with telfon tape and reinstalled. Is this correct?

Also why does the tape always bunch up, I put it on the treads clockwise. I assume there is nothing I put on the PVC P-trap treads on the other side of the p-trap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/titan7/bathroomdrain.jpg

johnjh2o1
07-07-2010, 06:10 AM
If your going to use both pipe dope and T-tape apply the tape first then the dope. Are you sure it's coming from the tail piece? It may be coming from the connection above it.

John

hj
07-07-2010, 06:16 AM
The tape bunches up because there is not enough room inside that connection for three layers of it.

Redwood
07-07-2010, 07:02 AM
I'll agree many times the leak is coming from the mack washer on the drain above.
Make sure you check that carefully and if it is post back for a solution.

bp77
07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll agree many times the leak is coming from the mack washer on the drain above.
Make sure you check that carefully and if it is post back for a solution.

It's not the Mack washer. There was some mineral deposits around the tailpiece connection, and it was a bit loose.

So should I take this apart again and redo it?

jimbo
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Those are very fine threads , and 3 wraps of tape could be too much. If it is together and not dripping,. let it be!!!!!!!

bp77
07-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Those are very fine threads , and 3 wraps of tape could be too much. If it is together and not dripping,. let it be!!!!!!!

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (

bp77
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (

Terry
07-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Just don't look. If it isn't leaking, quit beating yourself up. Now..........where's the beer.

I like dope on those threads. It hides better.

hj
07-07-2010, 05:11 PM
If the tailpiece is tight, and you just don't like the look of the tape, unpeel the excess which is showing. It is not doing anything anyway.