PDA

View Full Version : Hot water at cold side all faucets

ben1111
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Hello,

I have a home in Chicago that has hot water to all faucets on cold side. There are Grohe thermostatic valves at all showers (4). Only recent work was a new water heater 3 months ago. I am at a loss any help would be appriciated! Thanks in advance!

Ben

Esquire
06-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Were they normal at some point? If just one of those faucets was failing there could be a potential cross connection. I have seen a couple of occassions where this has happened, but it has usually been with a cheap brand faucet.

MACPLUMB 777
06-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Or more likely eather the water heater was hook up wrong i have seen even professional

plumbers do this !

Or you could be missing the dip tube ?

If this problem started about same time as wtr/htr was changed out that is where you

need to start looking !

MACPLUMB 777
06-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Check your messages on your profile page ! ! !

hj
06-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Reversing the connections to a water heater does NOT change the hot/cold orientation of the faucets. ALL it does is reduce the amount of hot water available. Changing hot to cold, and vice versa, requires a piping change somewhere.

jimbo
06-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Do you have any kind of recirulating system? A failed check valve or improperly installed system could be a problem. If you have a retrofit recir, then warm to hot at the cold tap is a normal side effect. If you run a cold tap for a few minutes, does it turn cold, or stay hot?

ben1111
06-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the replies. There is not a recirc line, and the water heater was replaced 3 months ago and worked fine untill three days ago. I think that the check valves in one of the Grohe thermostatic mixing valve hav gone bad allowing the water to pass? They are all about 4 years old. I have read that the washing machine selonoid gould also be bad. I will look further into this, and hape to find a resolution to it.

The water will eventually get "cold", but stays warm for a while!

hj
06-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Washing machine solenoid valves CANNOT cause the problem, regardless of what you have heard.