Pre-Fabricated Granite Vanity Tops - Can I cut them?

Users who are viewing this thread

robb01

Reaction score
I am wanting to replace the vanity top in my bathroom. Saw at ******* a pre-fab granite top that looked nice, only problem was that it was 31" wide. My current top is 30" and is between two walls, so it needs to be exactly 30". Would it be possible to cut 1/2" off either side of the granite top? The cuts could be somewhat rough as they'll be next to the walls. Thanks

Here is the top in question, not sure how thick it is:

813337006665lg.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, it can be cut, but you'll lose the shaped edge, as I'm sure you're aware. The cleanest cut would be from a wetsaw, but you could do it in varios ways. You'll need to cut the backsplash(s) as well, or at least probably. If you are going to only have one side splash, you might be away with taking the 1" off one end, rather than 1/2" on both. A drycut diamond blade on a circular saw would be dusty, and probably chip some. A diamond cup wheel on a grinder would give a clean cut, but making a straight line is harder. A couple of companies make what amounts to a small circular wet saw that should work well. You'd probably find clamping a straight-edge would give a nice clean cut. A conventional wetsaw could do it as well, but most don't have a long enough bed to do this in one pass. The thickness isn't really an issue. If you get the blade pinched or cocked, you could end up with a jam, and split the slab. If you take it slow and easy and keep things straight, it's no bigger deal than cutting a piece of hardwood with the right diamond tool. Keep in mind that the opening may not be perfectly square.

Another option is to notch the drywall and slide the whole thing in place. Well, you'd probably have to take a small section out on one side and notch the other. Patching the drywall afterwards would be much easier and safer than cutting the slab, let alone having to buy the tool to do it.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
It would also be worth checking out some local companies that deal with stone and see what they would charge to cut it. They have the tools and it shouldn't be expensive for those 1-2 cuts (especially without a polished or detailed edge). Might end up being cheaper or ~ the same $$$ as buying the tools and you'll likely get a much better cut.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, a local fabricator might cut it for you, but they may not want the liability if the thing happened to crack while they had it or after. HD (had) a small wet circular saw that attached to a hose that was sold for about $59.95. Obviously, you'd have to use it outside, or a wet room as opposed to a conventional saw. Haven't looked for it recently. It's not the best tool in the world, but for someone that might want to occasionally cut a tile or this slab, it does work. It's a little more flexible than a traditional, box wetsaw, since there is no table, and thus the size of the thing you can cut is unlimited. Just don't expect it to cut thicker, harder stuff fast. Cutting straight would depend on your skill or an accurately placed guide.

I think I'd still probably just recess in it the wall - drywall is cheap, forgiving, and easy to work with.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks