Moen valve issue

Users who are viewing this thread

firedogut

Reaction score
Ok I just got my attic re-piped with PEX and left the verticals galvanize. thanks to those who helped in the other posts.

The plumber who did the re-pipe also tossed in the new Moen cartridge in for me. However I still don't get cold water, its more of a just warm or hot. (this was going on before the repipe....I thought is was just a bad cartridge.)

He recommend removing the cartridge, flushing the valve and looking inside to see if i saw any blockage. He also stated i might need to replace the valve.

So my question to you guys......What is the best way to clean the inside of the valve? CLR, White vinegar? If i can clean it it would be so much easier and cheaper then replacing it.

thanks

EDIT-----Valve is a standard Moen valve. Pull to turn on.

Last edited by a moderator:

firedogut

Reaction score
Not the valve I have..

Flushed the valve....ran water for about 5 min with out the cartridge. Clean with valve with white vinegar, flushed again for 5 min.

put cartridge back in, bent the clip..... sill did not seem to work. looked in valve and did not see anything clogging the ports.

Now it from the tub faucet and around the cartridge.....more then likely i didn't seat the cartridge correct.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 450
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 436

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you turn it to all hot, what kind of volume do you get? How does it compare to the cold side? My guess is the hot is probably more restricted - corroded (rusted) than the cold, and your volume is low on the hot side.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bent what clip?
The clip drops straight down to hold the cartridge in.

moen1225.gif

You can use a 1224B cartridge.
Though if it were me, I would finish getting rid of the old galvanized piping, your problem may be there.
Has anyone tried to run water without the cartridge in yet?
And once you replace that old nasty galvy, put in a new pressure balanced faucet.
What you have is ancient.

It sounds like your plumber was stopped before he could finish the repipe.
A repipe means new valves and piped out complete.
At least the ones that I like to do.

Last edited:

firedogut

Reaction score
i only replaced the ones in the attic...... to replace the ones in the walls you would have to tear out my kitchen cabinets, and way to much sheet rock to get to everything. It was also cost prohibitive at this time. next homeowner is going to have to foot that cost.

i have flushed it with out the cartridge....it still seems like my could water port is clogged in the valve body. seems like I'll be buying a valve soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Turn it all the way cold and then all the way hot. If the flows are not about equal you have a plugged line. But, piping in the attic is ALWAYS going to be "warm not cold". It is a matter of physics. Around here, meaning the Phoenix metropolitan area, the only time we get "cold" water is in the wintertime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks