What torch do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
I've decided to replace a short section of pipe that is quite corroded inside and/or has lots of deposits on the walls. (This was my previous "leprosy" post.) Anyway, what sort of torch do I need in order to loosen up the old oakum and lead joint that connects this pipe to a very heavy-duty Wye (right before it exits building)? Also, please give your tips for how best to do it.

I'm not clear if there are different torches for copper vs. cast iron joints... different temperatures... different flame shapes, etc? Please advise.

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are better off drilling the lead and using a screw driver to pry the old lead out.
Just because you heat the pipe up, it doesn't always mean that the lead will be smart enough to fall out of the joint.
It takes a big torch to heat up a 4" cast iron pipe.
I don't even try.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Big as in a #7 rosebud tip which takes a lot of gas to feed such as a professional welding

shop may have !

Do what terry says and drill it out !

By the way when using a big torch you have to be aware of methane gas coming up the

sewer pipe !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An oxy-acetylene cutting torch so you can use the oxygen lance to blow the melted lead out of the joint. Otherwise the torch will just melt the lead and then it will harden just like it was.

3m

Reaction score
You also run a chance of cracking the cast iron with a torch

DavidTu

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your advice--especially the bit about not blowing myself up, would not have thought of that! I ended up drilling it out as per Terry's suggestion. It worked all right but took a while and killed two bits.

Now I need to find a Fernco or other donut-style fitting to mate the old and new CI pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks