PDA

View Full Version : modify bathtub only to shower/bath combo

cstdenis
06-09-2010, 11:36 AM
I would like to take a bathtub (built in) and modify it to be a bath/shower combo. Also want to put a circular shower rod around entire bathtub at same time. Is my best bet to go with a "claw-foot" tub converter and shower rod combo? Or should I just replace the faucet with a diverter faucet and get a separate D shaped shower rod? This issue is the faucet and handles are totally separate units and the claw-foot adapter usually comes as one unit. Also, how do I make sure my new faucet (very old american standard I think) will fit the old pipe?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Terry
06-09-2010, 11:44 AM
They make divert spouts that allow for a tube or a hose fitting.
The hose attachment would give you a hand held that can also be mounted high with a bracket.
The pipe thread from the wall with be either 1/2" pipe thread, or 1/2" copper tube.
I'm guessing 1/2" pipe.

hj
06-10-2010, 07:03 AM
There are conversion diverter spouts which have the shower ring attached to the external shower riser pipe.

jadnashua
06-10-2010, 02:05 PM
The issue you may have is that the walls may not be constructed to be getting sprayed with water from a shower. Depends on how it was originally installed. You could end up with moisture problems in the walls.

cstdenis
06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
There are conversion diverter spouts which have the shower ring attached to the external shower riser pipe.

Where can I get said diverter/shower riser pipe? I can find the diverter faucet on-line, and I can purchase a D-shaped shower rod on-line, but I don't want the shower to be handheld. There is no wall behind the tub to attach a shower arm to (it is a half wall), so would like to be able to attache a pipe directly to the diverter faucet. Will it be secure enough and where can I get something like that?

jadnashua
06-10-2010, 04:59 PM
A shower arm and head would not be stable enough just connected to the spout. If you could install a bar, I've found the better hand-held heads are fine as a shower, and provide the extra flexibility to get it down to rinse the corners, or use while sitting or lying in the tub as well.