PVC joint dry-fits too loose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Auream

Reaction score
I have a question regarding solvent welding PVC. I know that the joints are supposed to be a interference fit, i.e. they don't (easily) seat without the PVC cement. However, I have a Stainless/PVC toilet flange (a 4x3) that I intended to put on the 3" waste pipe coming out of my floor after I put down new tile. For some reason it seems like this toilet flange practically just drops right onto the 3" pipe without having to push it together. On top of that, the pipe is just a little bit short, to the point where the joint will only have about 1.25" of overlap (the flange has a 2.25" tailpiece, so it won't be seated 100%). Is this going to be a problem, or will the solvent welding process still work fine even if the joint isn't a super-tight fit?

If its going to be a problem I'm better off fixing it now before I lay tile, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A short joint, OR a loose one, by itself might not be a problem. BUT, both of them together might be iffy, we cannot tell without feeling it ourselves.

Auream

Reaction score
A short joint, OR a loose one, by itself might not be a problem. BUT, both of them together might be iffy, we cannot tell without feeling it ourselves.

I'd tend to think the same way, hence my concern. If it was really tight, the fact that there was only 1.25" of overlap wouldn't be a big deal I think.

I did some googling and saw that they make "deep closet flanges," but I wasn't able to find any specific model numbers or whether they are made in 4x3 (I did find deep 3" inside-fit closet flanges which I understand are frowned upon). Does anyone know if deep (maybe 3" or more deep) closet flanges are regularly available? I can probably call around to a couple plumbing supply houses but I figure its worth checking here before they tell me I'm crazy and no such thing exists :)

Edit: Found this one, so they do make them, but it's all PVC: https://ez-flo.net/?page=catalog&product_id=270198&category_id=74709

I'd much prefer the stainless steel ring, but haven't found any of those listed anywhere.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks