View Full Version : Choices for a Shower Remodeling Plate

05-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Need to update a tub/shower control valve. Mother doesn't want me to go in from closet to get to the back. Looking for a remodeling plate. Found a nice looking one from Westbrass, but they're out of stock at the factory. Moen makes one, but is a bear to find on their site. The trim on the new valve (a Delta) is 7" in diameter, so that section needs to accommodate that trim (polished chrome).

What are my choices? Need to get this in upstate NY before Wednesday, or things start to get messy. Will check the local plumbing supply houses Saturday morning, but hoping for something in stock, and not sure what the choices are.

What have you guys used, and where did you get them?

05-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Local supply houses have always had the remodel plates.
I haven't used the Delta plate, but the Moen plate plenty of times.
It's too bad you can't go through the closet. You can pick up a white plastic wall plate just for that purpose that has a plastic frame and snap in door.

05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Well, I located another one that would fit by Delta RP29827, which is less than half the retail price of the Moen (which style-wise isn't as good a match), so I hope to find one in the morning, or at the latest Monday. HD carries it, but only on-line, and Lowes doesn't carry it or the Moen, that I could find. Anyone with other ideas, feel free. The closet is really an insert that would have to be totally removed, reinstalled, and maybe the trim replaced and repainted, so a bigger hole in the tub is probably the quicker and easier way. If it was just cut a hole in the drywall (or plaster in this case) in the closet, that would be the easier way to do things. The distance from the insert to the valve would just be too much if I cut a hole in it, plus, it gets its strength from the trim holding it to the doorframe and sitting on the floor.

05-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Your customer is being unreasonable...

Tell her I said so...