How to retrieve a plastic comb in the toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

autorun

Reaction score
My mom dropped a plastic comb (about 4 to 5 inch long and 1 inch wide) into the toilet while flushing it. Now it is caught in the trap part (I guess).

What is the best way or tool for me to get it back out.

The toilet will flush fine if you only go #1, it will clog (water go down very slowly) if you go #2 which my dad find out the hard way.

Thanks.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to big box store of your choice and get whats called a closet auger you hand crank

it though the toilet trap until you feel it hang up then pull back !

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My preference for that job would be a 3' General Closet Auger with a Drop head...
They don't sell those in big box stores...

At Big Orange Box they sell the Ridgid equivalent which will probably work fine.
I don't know why but for some reason I don't like them as much as the General model...

autorun

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, any danger of pushing the comb down and could potentially clog up the main drain or other toilets in the other bathroom? I would replace this toilet than to have it fall down into a part of the drain that can cause more problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible you could push it down. You could always pull the toilet and push it back the other way.

autorun

Reaction score
I was try to avoid pull the toilet and push it back that way. That is why I ask for method or tools I can use first. Pull the toilet will be my last resort.

It's possible you could push it down. You could always pull the toilet and push it back the other way.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
More than likely, you will need to pull the bowl and use an auger from the bottom.
A large end auger works best, though they don't sell them anywhere but at plumbing supplies.
Homeowners don't get access to the tool that works.

At some point, you will get tired of dealing with the mess, and decide to do what it takes to remove the comb.
You might take a mirror and see if it's visible from the bowl. If it's stuck where you can see it, then maybe you can bend a coat hanger and pull it out.

3m

Reaction score
Take a mirror so you can see inside the toilet and use one of the flexible claws that mechanics use and you can get it that way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Remove the water from the toilet bowl. Then bend a coat hanger and slide it up into the toilet. Wiggle it around while jiggling it in and out and the comb should fall out. It NEVER made the turn at the top of the trap, so it just needs a little persuasion to fall back down. If you have a small mirror and a flashlight, you will see the comb and know where to push the coathanger. I once removed one of those hairdo picks, but for that I needed my Ridgid MiniSeeSnake to guide my hook.

autorun

Reaction score
I got it out with a wire coat hanger, thanks to all for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks