Urgent: Kitchen drain issue

Users who are viewing this thread

bggas400

Reaction score
Hi,

I am installing new cabinets but the current kitchen sink drain pipe coming out of the left wall (please view attached picture) needs to be raised or lowered as it would currently run right through the uppper shelf of the lazy susan. There will be an undermount cast iron sink (single drain) with a garbage disposal.

So could I install the p-trap as low as I can and then do a straight shot to the left and then up to the pipe?

Or can I make the discharge side of hte p-trap go higher than nomral, and go on a descening line towards the drain pipe on the left?

The current height of that 2" pipe is 16.5"
The center of the discharge pipe coming out of the disposal will be about 17.75"
The discharge pipe then goes down another 4" so we're at 13.75.

I've cut the drain pipe so now there is only a few inches coming out of the left wall.
Can I then add a couple 90 degree elbows and shoot over to the right, 90 down to the p-trap and then up the disposal discharge?

Can one of you experts please tell me my options?

Thanks,
Barry

Attachments

• Kitchen Rough Plu.jpg
    Kitchen Rough Plu.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 194

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi,

Can I then add a couple 90 degree elbows and shoot over to the right, 90 down to the p-trap and then up the disposal discharge?

Thanks,
Barry

I will refrain from quoting a familiar plumbing mantra! But let me empasize that UP is a word never to be used with respect to a drain. You must be very careful to have contiunous slope downward at a minimum of 1/4" per foot on that lateral pipe, opr it will be a clog catcher.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming your numbers are right, you have about 1.25" of drop, or enough for 5' of run from the disposer to the wall. You want to minimize angles, which slow things down, can cause clogs, and make snaking the line tougher. From the outlet of the disposer, everything must slope down, except the loop in the trap (which needs to be close to the disposal). If there are two sinks, it can get messier.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In your situation, going UP or DOWN, is not an option if you want a proper drain that does not give you problems. Why are you cutting the water lines?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks