How to identify Gerber toilet model ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kstuart

Reaction score
Hi !

Previously, I replaced an ancient malfunctioning toilet with a Toto Drake using existing information on this site, which worked fine (many thanks).

Now, I have moved to a different house with two bathrooms, each with the same relatively new looking Gerber toilets.

Prior to my purchase, the house had been unoccupied for 6-12 months.

The two toilets (which have conventional fill valves and flappers) work fine, except on rare occasions when presented with a larger BM (no paper), at which point it overflows.

I checked on various sides of the toilets, but cannot find any identifying marks other than Gerber.

Is there some way to identify the specific model, which would then help in determining whether it is just a poorly designed model, and would also help in getting specific advice ?

Thanks !

PS I'm sure some will suggest "just replace them with Toto Drakes" which sounds fine in an ideal world, but money is an issue, as I am sure everyone can understand...

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Gerber is a inexpensive builders grade toilet. They never had a good flush. Until you can afford to replace them with you know what, just keep a plunger handy.
John

Kstuart

Reaction score
Okay, the tank has a number, which in the old Forum, Terry identified as being from a Gerber 21-702 toilet.

Given the model number, is this a model that is likely to overflow with large BMs, or is there more likely to be some problem other than the toilet model ?

Thanks !

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I tried that toilet in my home for a week. I overflowed the bowl.
It's a horrible toilet.

Gerber 21-702 toilet
I had the elongated bowl, 21-712
Same performance though.

Kstuart

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I am seeing particularly low prices on Toto "Carusoe" and "Dalton" toilets on one site, perhaps due to inventory issues ?

How do the performance on those models compare to the Drake ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Terry has indicated that the Dalton is a good, economy toilet when price is a major issue and the style is acceptable. Not sure about the Carusoe.

Kstuart

Reaction score
So, I ended up getting another Drake, and installed it today (after re-reading Jamie's instruction page), and everything is fine so far.

One thing in common with both Drake installations, is that following the directions, such as Jamie's:

10- tighten down each side with the washers and nuts provided. I alternate
until snug. it is not neccessary for the tank to touch the bowl on all
sides, a little gap all the way around is fine. (2-3 minutes)

the tank is then not solidly attached. If there is a gap all the way around, then someone leaning back against the tank would actually move the tank. Is that correct ? Or am I misinterpreting these instructions (which are echoed by Toto's included directions) ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You may or may not be able to move the tank. I don't worry about that.
You can also crank so hard on the nuts that the tank porcelain "pops".

Kstuart

Reaction score
I was looking again at Jamie's Drake install instructions and I think I have found the difference.

In Jamie's instruction thread, there is a picture of the bottom of the tank, with the included nut and washer on the bottom of the tank. The Drake included instructions specify to put the included nut and washer on the bottom of the bowl's holes for the tank bolts. Only two nuts and two metal washers total are included with the tank.

So, if Jamie had extra nuts and washers, then the tank would be firmer on the bowl, with a nut and washer holding the rubber washer firmly against the inside of the tank, and another nut and washer holding the tank to the bowl. With only one nut and washer, pressure against the tank (such as someone seated who leans back) will cause the tank to lean back, due to the compressibility of the rubber washers.

At least that is what occurred to me as a possiblity...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Over the years, I have found that tanks which CAN move a little are less likely to crack than those tightened against the bowl. Rubber washers are compressible, but they also have a "rebound" so that is not a factor. In addition, when the tank moves it is pivoting on the bolts, so they are NOT being "stretched" as it happens.

Kstuart

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who participates regularly in these Forums, and to Terry for hosting it ! I now have two functioning Drakes, instead of two overflowing ones. Here is the latest one:

Drake.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks