New attic drain into existing

Users who are viewing this thread

TheZster

Reaction score
I have a 4" stack with a bathroom on the first floor draining into it. I want to add a bathroom in what used to be the attic - directly above the existing first floor bathroom.

Can I tie in a new 3" line from the new bathroom into the existing stack "above" the first floor toilet without a separate vent for the first floor toilet? Or do I need to bust out concrete and connect the new system "below" the existing first floor bath? The new addition will have it's own vent system...

If possible/necessary - I have plenty of room to add a vent line right above the existing toilet - between the existing toilet and the planned addition (4X4X3 Y)....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
By UPC, and probably other codes, you cannot turn that VENT stack from the first floor toilet into a WET VENT by draining waste into it. What you can do is use that 4" as your WASTE STACK, draining the new second floor toilet into it, and tie a separate vent fromt the first floor, and tie it back into the 4", 42" above the second floor level. No need for a new roof penetration.

TheZster

Reaction score
That is totally do-able. If I read you correctly - I can add a 2" vent line above the existing toilet (is 2" big enough? - I'm running out of room) - and tie it back into the main stack just below the roofline (assuming the 42" rule - if I don't have 42" - I can run the first floor toilet vent through the roof (no big problem).... The balance of the first floor (tub/sink) have a separate vent of their own....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any upstairs plumbing will need to tie in below the connections to all of the lower fixtures.
You will need to cut concrete.
dwv_b2.jpg

TheZster

Reaction score
Well, a few hours later - cutting/splicing/pounding/sweating/bleeding - and the new DWV is in - and even a layman like myself can tell it's proper.... Thanks Terry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Well, a few hours later - cutting/splicing/pounding/sweating/bleeding - and the new DWV is in - and even a layman like myself can tell it's proper.... Thanks Terry

Where have I heard THAT before. I do not think I have ever heard a DIYer or handyman say, "Wow, I sure did a lousy job this time." Give us a picture of what you did and WE will tell you if you did a "proper" job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks