Help needed with galvanized pipe!!

Users who are viewing this thread

miles

Reaction score
In a bathtub/shower remodel, I was trying to replace the 3/4" galvanized end to 1/2" copper reducer from the galvanized pipe coming from the hot water supply when the galvanized pipe broke right above the threads of a rusty T. The pipe to the left of the T comes from the Hot Water Tank & is undergound & the pipe to the right of the T supplies downline & is also under concrete. There is no crawl space. House is on a concrete slab. The work area I have to work with was previously dug out (by the previous owners) & there may be just short of a foot of galvanized pipe partially exposed on the right side of the T & even this is bordered by concrete on the edge closest to the exterior wall. Is there any way to re-route to avoid having to deal with the pipes under the concrete? As you can probably tell I'm an amateur. Is there a way to "plug" up the hole? Even if the whole pipe was exposed, I still wouldn't know the best way to proceed. If I have to get to the pipes, how would you recommend I proceed? If hiring a plumber is my best bet, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet & pay the costs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since we don't even have water at this point.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Post a picture or two and I'm sure someone can recommend an option or three for you.

Thx
Jason

Finnegan

Reaction score
Old galvanized is probably the worst type of pipe to work with. You cannot solder it, so you have to get to good threads. You can try very carefully cutting and chiseling out the remaining stub in the T. This is not easy work and may not even be possible given the rust you have already encountered. How old is the house?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks