Replacing ABP Frost Free Hydrant 455-06

Users who are viewing this thread

dustoff53

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the faucet is the ABP referenced above. I've attached a picture of where the threaded portion of the faucet connects to the 1/2 water supply pipe. The last 1/8 inch of the water supply line is flared and touches up against the threaded end of the faucet and it appears to be soldered. Note the threads of the faucet are larger in diameter than the flared end of the water supply line. Any ideas on how this connection is made?

Attachments

• P5030074..jpg
    P5030074..jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 945

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The part that is soldered appears in the photo to be a female adapter. The faucet screws into that. Use two wrenches to remove the old faucet, one to hold counter pressure on the female adapter, the other to remove the faucet. Reverse procedure to install the new one.

dustoff53

Reaction score
The picture is a bit misleading- the female adapter diameter is much smaller than the thread male fitting and the flared end is less than 1/8 of an inch in depth. The male and female connections are totaly different diameters and can not possible screw together. I checked this very closely. Thanks for the reply!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
To me it looks like someone soldered a piece of 1/2in copper into back of the bib because they didn't have an adaptor, the only way to get that out is to cut it and re-pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks