How important is access panels......

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
For example, basement bathroom. Access to either sink, tub, etc is all tiled up and on the foundationside of the house.

I'm in the planning stages of another bathroom regut.

Sink, etc will all be on another foundation side of the house.
Walls will be all tiled up as well.

Knowing the location of where the tub will sit in relation to how the joists is laid up, it will most definitely be a tight fit where the drain meets the fernco fitting... May have to end up cutting the ceiling below and putting a access panel for future reference.

Planning this all out so there's no surprises -- well, until I gut the thing and confirm my planning.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you put these against the foundation make sure you get a lot of extra tile...
Access for us plumbers isn't a problem because we fix the plumbing and the wall is your problem...

I'm starting to think this will be the remodel from hell...
You seem to be hellbent on making this more difficult in every aspect...
designer crap, walls without easy access...
I'd rethink designing this and maybe stick to slinging bacon...

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
It's a 100 year old house. Rough ins are something I can't go drastically changing and each bathroom has the plumbing on the foundationside of the house...

Just looking over the layout and I know that I will probably end up having to gut from the ceiling below in order to attaching the bathtub drain to the main drain stack.

And I'm not focused on buying designer hardware (yes, probably on the towel holders and such where aesthics do count.) Just trying to be an informed consumer.

The market for those designer brands is probably when you have a architect and interior designer doing all the planning, none of which I have ...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks