Need to remove drain baskedt that crossbars are broken off

Users who are viewing this thread

wolf

Reaction score
I need to replace a drain basket in my bathtub that has a lot of corrosion. The stopper no longer maintains a tight seal therefore the tub will not hold water. The crossbars are broken off, so it looks like the standard basket wrench I've heard about will not work. I am very hesitant to cut it out because I would probably do more damage than if I left it alone. Please help. Thanks for any advice.

Nate R

Reaction score
I have the same situation at my mother's house. Her 20 year old drain basket crossbars broke. Not much corrision at all, though.

So, do we have to cut, and that's the only real option?

Would you tackle this w/ no access to the drain from underneath, or is it more than likely I will require access? (It's a 20 year old Kohler Villager w/ what I believe is a Kohler drain, so I'm thinking I can likely get the same basket)

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
carefully cut a slit with a hacksaw blade. Careful not to cut the tub itself. Then use a chissel and hammer and use that to unscrew the drain. That's what I did last week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks