G-Max - Carlyle

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've had mine for about 5-years...works fine. There may be a new version that has the dual cyclone flush. Not sure if they will keep both, or just replace the older one. If they are changing it, you might get a deal if that model is being replaced...no idea for sure, though.

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
It is a great toilet. It was Toto's most popular and best looking skirted one piece toilet. The only thing missing from it was the ADA height. This was solved with the Carlyle II. The only problem that can come from installing the Carlyle is where your water supply is on the wall in comparison to the skirt of the toilet. Sometimes an adapter needs to be installed or the water supply moved for it not to be in the way of the toilet. Consult the specs to see if your water supply will present a problem.

And yes, keep an eye out for deals on the original Carlyle as showrooms are trying to make room for the Carlyle II. Toto will still be making it, (why remove an award winning toilet from your production?) because some people do not want an ADA height in a skirted one piece toilet. I know we are offering 50% off the Bone Carlyle on our showroom floor. All the parts with it and no bare bottoms ever on it. It has just sat there for a year.

The Carlyle MS874114SG needs 7" from the left of center for the water supply, or you need to solder a 90 el and move it out 2"
The Carlyle II, MS614164CEFG needs 6" from the left of center for the shutoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've always referred to the Carlyle as the deluxe Ultramax.
Add the skirted bowl, and CEFIONTECT.
G-Max Carlyle MS874114SG
bowl height 15-1/8"

Toto now has a new model with universal height which looks like a winner,
Carlyle II, MS614164CEFG.
This one is Watersense, so you can get the water rebates that may be available.
Skirted bowl, a little more narrow at the back, so water supplies at 6" to the left of center should work fine.
CEFIONTECT
Double Cyclone Rinse
Same good flush as on the G-Max Carlyle
16-1/8" high bowl for those with aging legs.
My favorite height.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I like the higher height...

Final thoughts on on G Max 1.6 vs Double Cyclone at 1.28....both with CEFIONTECT.

I have read past threads and seems like a mixed bag. Some swear the DC is better and the latter camp still prefer the slightly more water

Reaction score
Website
www.stayhotbathtubs.com
I have a Double Cyclone 1.28 GPF both in my own home and in my showroom's customer bathroom. I have no complaints. If for whatever reason, you wanted more water you can hold the handle down longer for a split second or swap out the 1.28 pink flapper for a 1.6 blue flapper. Although, a Toto engineer told me that results in a 2.5 GPF rather than 1.6.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Interesting read....JWB.
Are we saying that it's simply just a flapper swap to get more water...

Is it cross compatible..

Not like my funky dory Kohler Rialto and it's square tube design .....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't think you'd want to use the 1.28g flapper valve on an older toilet, but if you want to, you can use the 1.6g flapper on the 1.28g designs...but, it shouldn't make much difference. Some, but not all, of the difference is in getting the balance of the tank/bowl refill exact so you don't waste some dumping it down the drain while refilling.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Does both the Carlyle and Caryle II have the 3" flush valve as standard. Standard SKU/Part #'s or it's just a matter of a newer updated part with the same SKU #

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The high end Toto toilets have 3" flush valves.
The builder grade stuff, and the Carusoe and Dalton have 2" flush valves.
The Drake and above all have 3" flush valves.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thx. Any plans of offering the Carlye II to the store.
Hemming and hawing. Still about a month or so before I start the gut process..

TIA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think most dealers are carrying the Carlyle II now.
I added it to my shopping cart a few months ago in the Watersense cart, the toilets that use 1.28 gallons or less.
I'm just doing Seattle, Anchorage, Los Angeles and San Fransisco though.

Any plans of offering the Carlyle II to the store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks