1939 Shower Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

dekohman

Reaction score
I have a house built in 1939. The bathtub has a separate control for hot and cold water, and another control (centered) to direct the water flow to the shower or tub spout. The two water control knobs are 11" O.C....and I want to replace them without disrupting the current vintage ceramic tile in the tub/shower. I have full access to the back of the tub/shower via a closet. I'm looking for replacement hardware that is 11" O.C., but so far I'm only finding standard 8" O.C. materials. Does anyone know of a source for materials that measure up to "the old stuff" or have I just not looked hard enough yet?

Not sure that's totally clear...but I hope someone can make sense of my questions. Thanks for the advice!

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found there is a "Sterling" 11" spread tub/shw faucet. It is a nice faucet too.

Don't know were you are but i would do a web search for this faucet.

good luck

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
You could try going to Gopher Plumbing (Selby & Dunlap) in St Paul. They have lots of oddities.

I have in the past gotten 11" faucets from Goodin Co, I believe the brand was 'Sign of the Crab', pretty $$ but a quality faucet. Goodin is wholesale only, so you need to go through a plumber.

Another chance would be to check with Frank's Plbg on Washington north of the dome. He knows what he wants for stuff.

dekohman

Reaction score
Thanks Dubldare! I appreciate the local lead. Someone had told me about Frank's. I was also told to check out "Park Supply" but haven't gotten that far. I'm not surprised at all that it will be $$...seems to be my luck!

Thanks again!

Barrybpdx

Reaction score
you have a lot more choices than just whatever 11" you can find.
i too am replacing vintage stuff. here's what i've found:
- some 3 handle shower/tub kits are not a fixed-width solid body. i just looked at one at Rejuvenation that allowed you to unscrew the hot/cold valves so that you could adjust the spread. don't remember the brand but it's a high-end store.
- i've also seen kits in which the pieces can also be purchased a la carte. so you could buy the valves and diverter individually, even without the trim if you'd like to try to reuse your vintage escutcheon and handles.
go to your local high-end store and they'll have the catalogs from many manufacturers.

i'm told that here in Portland code requires some type of anti-scald for a shower. some of the 3-handle kits don't have this built into the body. they too can be purchased individually at a good plumbing/bath store. a Delta thermostatic diverter lists for $152, no trim.
you can get a pressure balance valve for about $100.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks