toilet or pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Peterl

Reaction score
On my earlier post I was complaining about my mansfeld toilet. My toto is coming tomorrow and I removed the mansfeld today. I wanted to know how to determine if there is anything wrong with my pipe? Can someone also recommed what wax ring to buy and where?

thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Mansfield toilet that you are removing, was never very good.
They were "builder grade" toilets, meant to complete the home for sale.
There are entire communities built with these, and they provide a constant source of income for someone like me, removing and disposing, and installing "homeowner grade" toilets that function and work.

Some areas like Bellevue, Issaquah and Redmond are providing rebates to encourage replacement.
You may have something similar in your area too.

A toilet has a small trapway, with bends and places that catch.
Odds are, what ever was causing problems, is still there stuck in the lower portion of the toilet.
Once it passes through, it drops into a 3" pipe with nice rounding bends.
It's very unlikely that anything stays in those pipes, unless you have roots growing into a joint, or a pipe collapse.
If that were the case, it would be backing up everywhere, not just the toilet.

Consumer reports likes the Mansfield. I don't.
Way too many clogs with a Mansfield.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Once again there are differences of opinion. I have used many Mansfields, (including schools and classrooms), and they are common here. Unless the customers are used to having problems with them and therefore do not call or complain, I have not had any unusual number of service calls for them, in fact the number is close to zero.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks