Shower divertor mounted on interior of outside wall

Users who are viewing this thread

braindrain

Reaction score
I am replacing a shower I had to remove ,due to water damage, with a jetted tub that will be used as a tub/shower combo. The area I'm using has one wall as a closet, the other is an outside wall. The pump will be on the closet side due to required access panel. This means I will have to put the shower diverter on the outside wall end. I've been told that this will lead to diverter freezing and bursting. Is this true and is there a way to insulate to safeguard it? Also, if I could find a jetted tub with right hand pump and drain, this would solve my problem. Any help or insoght would be appreciated.

Attachments

• diverter-locatio&#1.jpg
    diverter-locatio&#1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Freezing problems aren't isolated to the diverter, any line with water in it is subject to freezing. By their nature, a tub/shower valve is fairly deep, so there's little to no insulation in a typical wall behind it. You really want to consider a tub with a removeable skirt so you can access the motor/pump from the long side rather than the end. Then, your water would be on an inside wall.

braindrain

Reaction score
OK thanks, so no water supply plumbing in the outside walls.

Does anyone know of a whirlpool tub that has right hand drain and right hand pump?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Except for those units where the pump is relocatable into another room, they all put the pump under the sloped end opposite the drain. If you get one with a removeable skirt, you'd be able to service the unit from the long side, and you would have many choices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks