Cast iron pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

cgodfree

Reaction score
Need some quick professional advise. I had Mr. Rooter out to unclog my kitchen sink. They used the machine they had but brought out what looked like mud. He said it was mud and looked as though I had a busted pipe under my foundation. He pulled out the camera next and showed me that the bottom was open to the ground (I guess that's what I saw). He said that cast iron pipes only last about 30 to 35 years before they corrode. My house is 35 years old. I googled cast iron pipes and most literature says that stuff lasts 100s of years......Can you give me any advise on this subject? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CI can last a very long time, but it is not guaranteed. If the slope is wrong so water sits in there, or you use lots of drain cleaner materials, or don't flush the toilet after a #1, you can eat the stuff up much faster. Some soils are more problematic, too. The 'Rooter' guys don't have the best reputation. You might want to get a second opinion. Some are great, but there seem to be too many exceptions.

The cast iron below has a band aid on it. Still didn't fix it.

cast-iron-band-aid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bpetey

Reaction score
The cast Iron in my house is 90 years old with no problems so I'm sure ithas a longer life than 30-35.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
The cast Iron in my house is 90 years old with no problems so I'm sure ithas a longer life than 30-35.

Actually cast iron is available in different weights. extra heavy and std weight. The extra heavy was the most common. I have seen the std weight fail in the time frame mentioned, and some sooner.

John

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
cast iron can deteriorate and crack like any other plumbing material. If the guy showed you a video where a pipe was filled with mud/dirt/roots, then it probably has cracked. If all you saw was a big pool of murky water, then your drainage system might have a low spot. Either way, it's going to take big $$$ to fix, and if in doubt, you might want to get a 2nd opinion just to be sure.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cast iron kitchen sink lines can rust out and perforate from the bottom.
The same thing will happen to galvanized drains on kitchens.
Cast iron does go bad in time. I do get calls to replace it.

index.php

cast-iron-ruste-out.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks