CPVC tastes yucky

Users who are viewing this thread

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I come seeking the wisdom of the graybeards. I replaced all supply lines in a 1920's home recently. The client's budget dictated cpvc. Everything works great, but the kitchen water tastes like plastic. The kitchen sink was installed 2 weeks after I finished, so water sat in those lines that whole time. I flushed the lines for 20 minutes, but this AM the taste was still there. I used Flowguard Gold pipe. Is it possible glue solvents in the water migrated into the plastic and is now diffusing back into the water? Thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That could be the cause and the amount of 'glue' used if more than the thin light coating called for. And it could be psychological because they see/saw all the plastic tubing and fittings or, because someone ask them if they have a taste or smell from the plastic. I don't know what the answer is but you could try a drinking water filter with a carbon block cartridge in it with a separate RO faucet.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Gary and dcellite. I was leaning towards psychological because this hasn't happened before.Same brand pipe, cement, primer I've always used. Only thing different was the length of time before lines could be flushed out-and the client is different, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks