Bowl to floor, or tank to bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

fishkiller

Reaction score
Should I set the bowl to the floor first, then attach the tank to the bowl or attach the tank first and then set the combined bowl/tank? I'm sure I'll have shimming to do. I plan on dry fitting the bowl alone so I can see where the shims are needed.

Thanks,
Jim

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe most pros assemble the tank to bowl outside and carry the whole thing to the installation site. As a DIYer, I find it easier to carry the individual pieces to the bathroom and set the bowl first then install the tank. I really think it's largely a matter of personal preferance. Dry fitting the bowl first to establish the need for shims is always the best plan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on how strong you are and whether you have room to lay down on the floor and still reach things to thread the bolts and tighten things down. I think if you can lift it, assembly it where you have room, then install. Don't carry it with the tank cover, as it might slip off and break plus it's unnecessary weight. I'd probably leave the seat off until done, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks