PDA

View Full Version : Installing cast iron tub

Leo427
10-31-2004, 09:28 AM
I am in the process of having a cast iron tub installed. Currently, the tub is resting on a ledger board attached to the wall. There are shims under one end of the apron to keep the tub from rocking due to a gap. All four feet of the tub are in the air. The directions from Kohler state that the feet should be supported with metal shims for support with no mention of a ledger board. Should I shim the feet in addition to the ledger board or leave it as is with the feet unsupported? I feel that it wouldn't hurt to shim the feet also, but I do not want to look for trouble. :confused:

jadnashua
10-31-2004, 10:43 AM
The tub must be supported on its feet. You risk cracking the tub or tearing the ledger board out when you fill it with water and put a person or two in it. Ensure that the top rim is level, also. Make sure you use something substantial under the feet. The tub probably weighs ~300#, put 40 gallons of water in it adds 320#, and then say a 250# person - 870#, give or take.

hj
11-01-2004, 10:24 AM
My first question would be why the legs are in the air. Normally, if the tub is installed on a level floor the legs all set on the floor and the ledger board is just a formality.

LonnythePlumber
11-02-2004, 07:44 PM
No ledger board for a cast iron tub? Has anyone else heard of this or is not installing ledger boards?

Leo427
11-03-2004, 04:59 AM
I was basing that on the installation manual from Kohler. Please see Figure 6 on Page 5 by clicking on the link. I says that all four feet must rest on the floor and does not mention a ledger board. Thanks for your reply. http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/100206_2.pdf

LonnythePlumber
11-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Certainly you are right. There is no ledger board mentioned. I haven't read installation instructions on a cast iron tub in decades. I guess I should.

hj
11-03-2004, 08:21 AM
I only use one on a wood floor, and that is just to be sure that even if the tub settles into the flooring, the edge of the tub will stay locked to the bottom of the wall finish.