Old work boxes and mounting to studs

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I recently removed a new work style switch box and a 4 Octogon fixture box both had brackets extending up above and below the box location. I was carefull not to mess up the drywall.
I need to use a steel box due to grounding and would like to mount to the studs. I do not want to damage the drywall in doing so. Can I attach the boxes using a couple of screws and drilling thru the box into the stud. The old work boxes I've seen need to be mounting in the wall away from the studs. I do not understand what to do. Should I damage more drywall to mount the boxes with brackets, or will the old work boxes work next to a stud. The switch box is a 2 gang box.Thought this seemed easy. Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
J

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You should use an old work box. Someone will quote the code for us on your question of screwing through the box into a stud. I think if allowed at all, the issue would be that the screw head not present a surface which could nick a wire.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure how drilling holes into a metal box and screwing sideways into a stud is easier. I've seen where homeowners who have done this before though. The madison hangers you removed are less then a tenth of an inch thick and can go right up against a stud. The screws that hold the metal box together are going to keep you off the stud further then they are. They do make old plastic boxes that screw into the side of a stud but I've never seen a metal one like that. And if your wire is romex there is no reason you must use a metal box. BX or metal clad is a different story.

That said, I can't think of anything in the code or reason you can't drill two holes in the box and use screws as long as the holes are completely covered by the screw heads.

-rick

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I need to use a metal box to complete the grounding. What I meant was the new work metal boxes with the brackets spot wedded on then. I believe they are called new work boxes. In order to install them I would need to tear out at least a each of drywall at the top and bottom of the current hole. I hear that the madison hangers are not too good at keeping the box from falling into the wall. The second box I need to install is a light fixture 4" Octagon box. Do they make madison hangers for them? The main problem with using old work boxes is there is no selection of metal boxes for the 4 Octagon box I need for the light fixture. Can only find plastic. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
J

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks