PDA

View Full Version : Installing pedestal sink and basic information

Kevz
09-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Wondering if anyone knew of any good sites or even some good books to learn about all the steps to correctly install a pedestal sink and general stuff. Pictures would be nice.. I have done some plumbing in the past, run new lines and soldered plenty of joints, etc. I have however never done the finish type work in installing sinks and such.

We are remodeling our whole house and I would like to learn the correct ways to do most of the basic work myself.

Example in the bathroom we are working on, I had to move the water lines to line up for the new pedestal sink. Right now I just have the lines coming out and capped off. Would like information on installing the values, how far from the wall, installing the drain, etc.. All the basic stuff that I would just like to confirm before I start just doing what I think is right on the whole house.

Thanks for your time.

Dunbar Plumbing
09-12-2005, 12:25 PM
I always rough in the water lines with the pedestal right there for me to make sure the lines look uniform staring right at it. Then I angle the valves @ 45's and use SS easy hookers to make the connections to the faucet. 360 loops look the best. As far as the drain goes I always like to jig the pop-up assembly in the pedestal and line it up to where I can easily hook to the drain coming out of the wall making sure that the drain is slightly offset to make sure I can easily hook the trap up without fighting the sweep of the tailpiece. (being too close) On the valves I use compression, I always use a small amount of teflon thread sealant on the inside of them for the piping, along with taking the entire valve apart and grease them up with plumber's grease.

toolaholic
09-14-2005, 06:52 AM
i agree with rugged

finnegan
09-14-2005, 07:34 AM
As long as you get the rough in right you should be able to figure the rest out without too much trouble. Most pedestals have pretty similar rough-ins, but you should pick your model and get the specs. Most are available on-line. If you are going to open the wall you might want to add some blocking to which to attach the top. I too agree with Rugged that you might want to wait to attach the valves and trap until you are actually installing the pedestal. I would look for the newer angle valves that use ball valves rather than the ones with the plastic oval handles that break very easily.

macska
09-17-2005, 05:06 PM
The Black and Decker plumbing book has great pictures. I've seen it at HD and Lowes and online at bn.com.