New Drain for backwashing filters?

Users who are viewing this thread

tbiser

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting ready to purchase a couple of backwashing whole-house filters and plan on putting them in my garage next too my water heater and cold water main. The problem I have is that I have no drain in the garage. On the other side of that wall, however, is my master bedroom bath, and so that wall has the drains for my double vanity and my toilet is also along that wall. The garage floor sits roughly 2 feet below the main floor, so I can also plumb through the foundation wall to get to the crawlspace. Getting to the main drain that runs horizontally in the crawlspace is easy to get to. Also, the garage is sheetrocked, for what it worth.

What is the cleanest solution to install a drain for these filter?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tbiser

Reaction score
Can anyone help me? I can access the drain and vent inside the wall (to the adjacent bathroom), but not sure whether I should put in a standpipe or just drain it directly to the main drain. I'm sure purist here will say to install a new standpipe and properly vent it, but wondering if I really need to do all of this. If I went the standpipe/vent route, how much of that can stay inside the wall and how much can be exposed. Anyone got any good pictures of a standpipe install for a softener/filter? I really just want a professional looking solution done right. It's in a drywalled garage, so I want to keep it neat. I thought of putting in a washer utility box to keep it all inside the wall, but maybe this isn't necessary. If someone's done this before and can share their experience, I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any proper installation will have a trap and must be vented. How much room you have to work will determine how easily it can be installed inside the wall cavity. If you were to install it as one would a washer, it would be a clean install.

Terry's picture provides a good guide-
washer_rough_b.jpg

tbiser

Reaction score
Any proper installation will have a trap and must be vented. How much room you have to work will determine how easily it can be installed inside the wall cavity. If you were to install it as one would a washer, it would be a clean install.

That is some nice plumbing indeed.

The filter will put out roughly 8gpm from 3/4" tubing. From what I understand, that's a lot more water than what a washer puts out. Will a standard 2" washer standpipe work, or will I need to go larger?

Thanks, again!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks