Low pressure thru faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

redfed

Reaction score
Yesterday, I replaced the washers and seats in my old Price-Pfister tub faucets, in an attempt to stop the continuing drip. The drip has now stopped, but I've noticed that when the hot water is turned on, the flow is good until the water heats up, then decreases. I have to adjust the handle several times to compensate for this. This did not happen before changing the washers. I did not swap the valves, nor did I make any other changes. The only thing I can think of is that the washers are swelling and blocking the flow.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Did you use the correct washers and seats? Make sure the screw is tight. Also, when you reinstall a stem, you need to make sure that the stem is in the "open" position--the washer part of the stem should be against the stem body and not screwed out when reinstalled. You may have gotten some debris in there too that takes about the same time to slow the flow as it takes to get the hot water, but that is a far less likely scenario. I would pull the stem and check the washer and the screw.
Deb
The Pipewench

redfed

Reaction score
Thanks, Deb.

I'm sure that I have the correct seats, as the package indicated the were for PP applications, and I matched them up to the old seats that I took w/me to the hardware store.

As far as the washers, I'm not sure. There were several different washers that fit in the washer section. They were different colors and had a letter following the size. I used a Korky beveled washer. I used flat washers in my wife's bathroom, and her's has the same problem, only on the hot water.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
PP showers were designed to use flat washers. Beveled washers reduce the clearance, and if they swell at all you have a problem. The different colors of washers are different rubber compounds. Black is the softest. I usually use blue or red. WHites are too hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks