PDA

View Full Version : green sand filter

B Skipper
03-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I have read how to put 4 cups of bleach in a softner once a year to clean it up, is there anything you need to do to a green sand filter?

Akpsdvan
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
You are using Potassium Permanganate on the cleaning cycles?

B Skipper
03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes , just was wondering about anything else that I have been missing. This trade seems to be full of tricks you can do to make things better

Akpsdvan
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
flow rate , flow rate.
Green sand units need flow rate to work right.
What control is on top of the green sand tank? that 10x54 media tank?

Gary Slusser
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
I have read how to put 4 cups of bleach in a softner once a year to clean it up, is there anything you need to do to a green sand filter?
That is way too much chlorine, a 1/4 cup is usually more than needed and should be done only when needed. Chlorine damages resin but why the subject about a greensand filter and then only a question about a softener? Do not mix potassium permanganate with chlorine.

B Skipper
03-02-2010, 12:52 PM
No, was just wondering if I needed to do anything else to keep the green sand filter at its peak

B Skipper
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I believe it is a fleck 1500 valve

Akpsdvan
03-02-2010, 04:32 PM
That is a great valve for green sand....
Manual or timer in front?
Manual , just stay on the same time frames for backwashing, draw of chem.. rinse.. that kind of thing.
Photos?

There most likely will be a time that a rebuild is needed on that valve and that is some thing that you can do your self with the book and the parts.

rkhanso
03-13-2010, 10:15 PM
No, was just wondering if I needed to do anything else to keep the green sand filter at its peakI just installed a greensand filter.
The only maintenance I was advised to do is once per year.
dump the potassium tank water into a large bucket
take the foam/filter thing out

clean everything really good, getting the muck out

put the foam filter thing back in

pour the purple water back in
I can't say if that's correct or not, just what I was told (as far as I remember, anyway)