Replace tank on older 1.6gpf Briggs toilet or buy new toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

brennok

Reaction score
We have an older,at least 10 years, two piece Briggs toilet though I don't know the model number. It has a tank model number 4965 if that helps with a 7470 lid. It is a 1.6gpf/6.0Lpf model.

We have been having issues lately which the plumber said may be due to the older construction since the pipes weren't designed for low flow toilets and the backup issues only seem worse since we switched to a front load washer. Is this is true or we are just being fed a line? For the most part we keep getting a sewer in the shower after a few minutes or so and about once a year we get a clog somewhere that the lines need snaking. They usually find a clump of hair which we are starting to think is from the new front load washer since none of us have long hair except the cats.

While working on one of the toilets in the house, the plumber broke one of the bolts on the tank causing the tank to dump all the water on the floor. They said they would cover the cost of replacing the tank but now we are wondering if we should just replace the toilet since they said they would also credit the tank cost towards a new toilet. Off and on I have looked at Toto toilets before but I don't know if I am just throwing money away or if it would truly help with the issues.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi Brennok,
Somehow I doubt you will even be able to find a tank to replace the broken one but power to ya if you can.
I'd place the odds at better than even you will be forced to buy a new toilet.
If you have to do that a Toto toilet would be a great choice.

The problem is that I don't think it will do anything to either make your problem better or, worse.

Your problem as you state it is a line problem where the plumber feels you have an older line that is in poor condition.
What some times happens in these older lines is with lower flows of liquids it leaks out of the pipe before reaching the end of the pipe.
This causes solids to accumulate in the pipe and drying out resulting in a packed section of the pipe which resembles a hot dog or, sausage blocking the entire pipe. We drain cleaners refer to this as a dry pack. This is often aggravated by low flow toilets but really is a line problem.

Personally if you have not had the line camera inspected to see what is wrong with it I would do so and see about getting the line repaired.

brennok

Reaction score
Thanks. We have actually used the camera before and they don't find anything really. At least nothing they have told us needs repairing which would be hell here in Florida since no easy access to the pipes.

I guess it is time to go toilet shopping.

Consumer Report on Toilets

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd guess the slope is not proper on at least one section of the drain line. It could be flat (no slope), try to go uphill (never a good situation!) or have a belly or bow in it which slows down the flow and leaves the solids sitting there. When a toilet is flushed, it's rare that it makes it all the way to the main sewer line on that first flush. It moves further with each successive use of water going down the drain, either flushing a toilet, running the sink, shower, or washing machine. If it has problems with the washing machine, whose output is 99% water, it is pointing to a drain line problem, and a new toilet probably won't make any difference other than a good one won't clog, if that occurs with your current one.

brennok

Reaction score
I must say I don't really have any clog problems. I just usually know I am going to have problems through the rest of the house when my toilet is slow to drain and the same goes for my shower.

I finally got the story about how he broke the bowl while I was at work. Apparently when he came back out due to a leak in the back which looked to be coming from the base where they hadn't applied any sealant, he said it was coming from one of the bolts. He went to tighten the right bolt and upon doing so the tank cracked dumping all the water on the floor. Now I have no idea if this was where it was actually leaking from or if it was leaking from the base.

I just need to figure out how much I want to spend and what I can find easily locally.

brennok

Reaction score
Well It is now a week later and the plumber hasn't called us back after several messages. I took Friday off to run out to the local store that carries Toto to check their prices. At this rate I may just end up with the Champion 4 from Home Depot. It seems to get ok reviews, but the best as to what I can find locally easily. It also seems like no plumber here locally has heard of Toto.

fred54

Reaction score
Toto toilets are widely sold on the web, which is where I bought mine a few weeks ago and had a very positive experience doing so. Given how easy it was to install for an amateur like myself, I'm certain that any of your local plumbers would be able to install one easily.

brennok

Reaction score
Well the plumber finally called and showed up this morning with a replacement tank so I now have a bathroom that works. Thanks for the help. I definitely plan on my next toilet being a Toto probably the ultramax, but for now I am happy just to have a working toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks