Test fitting pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Is there some basic trick to test fitting pvc before gluing? I was running 3" drain lines in a fairly tight configuration yesterday and was wanting to dry-fit it all together to make sure of fit. Getting the pipe and fittings to seat together dry was a bear and taking them back apart for the primer/glue stage took a hammer and block of wood.
I'm hoping I'm missing some simple trick that would make this easier next time. Is there one?
A forum search didn't seem to turn up much so this might be a stupid question.....

Thanks,
John

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dry fitting is a waste of time because every connection will be about 1/4" off.
20 connections later you will find your perfect dry fit to be 5" off.
Measure properly and glue the fittings as you go.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The socket is designed to be an interference fit. It is tapered. It is unlikely you can bottom out the pipe in the fitting, and if you do, you have stretched the fitting and getting it back out will be a bear. The cement melts the surface layers fo the plastic, allowing them to fit together and making a permanent seal when the solvent evaporates. You must measure from the bottom of the socket to the next to figure the proper length. Common rooky mistake.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rather than trying to cut all off pipe to the exact length ahead of assembly, it will be much easier and more accurate to cut each pipe as you assemble.

John/Charleston

Reaction score
Well that sounds pretty much like a consensus! I've done it without dry fit as you guys suggest but this was 3" with several fitting in close succession and angled in different directions all in a tight quarters crawlspace. Routine for a plumber, I'm sure but I'm more a finish carpenter and while I'm sure of my measurements, getting the pipes to line up at different angles I was less certain about. I was putting it together as a dry fit one piece at a time before I measured the next but I was driving them together pretty tight to simulate the final fits. It all worked and probably only took me 3x as long as a pro....

Thanks for the answers,
John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You cut one piece and glue its fitting on at the proper angle, then do the next, and so on. Forget about trying to preassemble and mark each one's orientation, before gluing it all together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks