Leaking garden hose valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

bigp

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just discovered that the valve is leaking from the handle. I tried to turn it tight, but only made things worse because it is so rusted. Dripping became drizzling now.I also unscrewed the yellow cover and water came out like crazy. It seems the valve did not shut the water off at all. I have never seen this kind of valve and neither has the guys working in local hardware store. Can anyone tell me what valve it is? How does it work? ( there is flange at the bottom that got screwed to the wall. I can not see how are things connected inside. But it seems not to be something popular.) Can the leaking be fixed by only replacing the valve head? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,336

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most plumbers would cut the wall behind about 6" to 12" to access the back of the frostfree hosebib and replace it.
What you have is over 30 years old.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like it is a frost-free silcock. The actual guts of the valve are inside of the house. They are available in various lengths to put the working parts inside where it won't freeze. YOu will normally ruin the thing if you leave a hose on it in the winter and it freezes. If there's no hose on it, the part between the hose connection and the inner guts will drain out.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you have a crawlspace or basement for access to the connected piping, replacement of the assembly may be a straightforward task.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The vacuum breaker design will determine how much of the water drains from the hose faucet's barrel when the hose is removed from it. The "yellow" thing is a hose cap, which someone used to stop the flow because they did not want to repair the faucet, or could not.

bigp

Reaction score
Had a look at the leaking valve yesterday. It turned out to be a old model Frost Free Silcock with no Vacuum breaker assembly. This things is badly damages. First of all, the shut off valve washer (Bibb washer) screwed to the far end of the stem is damaged. Secondly, the screw attaches the handle to the valve is so rusted that I can not unscrew it (I did applied a fair amount of WD40, and it wouldn't budge a bit); The o-rings of the stem packing were broken (I saw debris of the o-rings);The bibb washer seat appears to be damaged (11 o'clock position from the picture).

I did replaced the washer. Because I can not get the handle screw removed, therefore the handle, I was not able to remove the stem packing from the packing nuts. I then couldn't replace the o-rings. The damages washer seat is what I am seeking for information about.

Is washer seat for Frost Free Silcock replaceable like those of bathroom faucet? I talked to couple of guys in the hardware stores. Some of them said it might be, some said it is not. All model in the stores have built in seat though. With a long enough Hex screwdriver, I might be able to see if it can be removed, but there is no where I can find one long enough.

If I can not fix it from outside, I will have to break the wall in my finished basement to create an access panel and have the whole thing replaced which represent a fair amount of work and some cosmetic work of the wall once done, because of the way the house was built, no access panel for anythign. This is the last thing I want to do.

Let me know what your guys think. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5127..jpg
    IMG_5127..jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,098
  • IMG_5124..jpg
    IMG_5124..jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,116
  • 104104-main_Full..jpg
    104104-main_Full..jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2,273
  • IMG_5137..jpg
    IMG_5137..jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,111

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would cut the access hole in the drywall to replace the entire assembly and just be done with it.

Sometimes it's easier to install a few feet of new pipe on the valve and install the entire length from the outside so you don't have to work up in a corner.

bigp

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I am going to make myself the access panel and have the whole thing replaced. Will let your guys know how it goes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks