Is one way better than the other way

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Would either of these setups make a difference in water flow/delivery time?

3/4" piping that goes into 1/2" piping?

1/2" piping that goes into 3/4" piping?

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Depends on the demand on the line and how long the 1/2 line is. Increasing the diameter of pipe will only reduce friction loss.

Water pipe sizing

Last edited by a moderator:

DIY

Reaction score
Kitchen sink with swivel handle hot/cold faucet.tub/shower Hot / diverter valve / Cold , Toilet , lavatory sink Hot / Cold. The 1/2" hot side line would take a few turns,but it will be 20' in total length. From the water heater exists @ 1 1/2 to 2' of 3/4" piping.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Increasing pipe size will minimize any further friction PSI loss based on GPM flow. Decreasing the pipe size will increase friction loss at a given GPM

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Don't overlook that by running 3/4" you will need to move a lot more water waiting for the HOT to arrive from the water heater.

DIY

Reaction score
Thank you all,Winslow,jimbo and cacher_chick
So, if 3/4" piping is used for all 20' of hot line there will be better water volume. If 1/2" piping is used for all 20' of the hot line it creates a bit less volume,but more pressure.Ok. I can live with less volume,for more pressure if that gets the hot water to any 1 of these fixtures at a time.( kitchen sink,tub/shower,lavatory sink) in a reasonable turn of the handle on,or under a few seconds?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Volume is a function of pressure. A long 1/2" line will reduce BOTH volume and pressure. A 3/4 line has less pressure loss so it will give more volume. The hot water will get to the faucet sooner because a 1/2" line holds about 1/2 the amount a 3/4 line does so you have to evacuate less cooled water. All the dynamics are interrelated so you have to decide which parameter is more important to you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
20' is a pretty short piece of pipe, and you would not likely notice the pressure difference, or the time to get hot water, either way.

DIY

Reaction score
Hi all,
I do not want to beat this post into the ground,but future plans for this place make it important. Hj the parameters that would be important to me would be hot water that one would not have to wait for at the faucet that would waste less than a half gallon, half gallon or more of water for,no need for a reckrculation pump (i think this short 20run of piping can be solved via the right size pipe..? There is always just testing to see the difference the two pipe sizes would make....hmmm cpvc too...

Thanks to all and the plumbers & master plumbers!

DIY

Reaction score
I know volumes and pressures can be pretty amazing depending on the space they have to travel through,but the difference here seems pretty min ute to me? Maybe that is a drastic change to effect the flow and/or pressure?

The copper and CPVC I have here measures the following ID:

1/2" copper piping type "L" is just shy of 9/16"

1/2" CPVC piping type "Flowguard Gold" is right at 1/2"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks