Removing shower handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony Foran

Reaction score
I'm trying to swap out an American Standard one piece shower valve handle and it seems the set screw is not there. Any ideas or tricks in removing it. Thanks!

Plumbermurrieta

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.plumbermurrieta.info
Removing three -shower fixtures is relatively simple. The tools that you will need are basic hand tools. Once you have removed the first handle, the other two handles will come off exactly the same way as the first one did. You should be able to remove all three handles in less than 15 minutes.

-Remove the indicator caps. There is a plastic cap in the center of each fixture or handle. The indicators will be C for cold, H for hot and an arrow that indicates direction for either tub or shower function. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry under the edge of the cap. The caps will pop out. They are only held in place by metal retainer clips.
-Use your Philips head screwdriver to remove the screws from the center of the handles. The screws hold the handles to the valves. Pull out on the handles, and they will slide off. Behind each handle is a metal escutcheon ring. Twist the rings counterclockwise to remove them.
-Remove the metal cover plates. Behind the escutcheon ring is a cover plate. These are usually held on by screws. Use your Philips head screwdriver to remove the screws from the cover plates. Take the cover plates off.
-Use a very small screwdriver or an Allen wrench to remove the handles if your fixtures have set screws on the underneath side of the handle much like a towel bar. Some newer fixtures will not have indicator caps on them and, therefore, will not have a screw securing the handle to the valve. The escutcheon rings and the cover plates will come off the same as indicated in Step Three.

Tony Foran

Reaction score
I guess I wasn't being clear. This is a single handle. It did have a set screw but not now from what I can see. It must just pressed on in some way.

Thanks for the help.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea move the handle around until you see it.
If its the one I'm thinking of about 1/2 on covers it...

Tony Foran

Reaction score
So, you have to turn the water on partly to access the set screw?

thanks again

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep... Once you turn it on the screw should become visible. For some reason I think you might need a screwdriver and not an allen wrench...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks