View Full Version : Hole in cast iron sewer pipe

09-09-2005, 11:18 AM
I have a hole in the cast iron sewer pipe, right where it meets the wall on the inside of my basement wall.

All other sewer-related piping in the house appears to be PVC, the only thing iron is the T/Elbow, and the pipe from there going through the wall.

Is there any way to replace this T/Elbow with PVC or Iron, or do I need to also replace the whole pipe through the wall?


Dunbar Plumbing
09-09-2005, 07:34 PM
To make a effective, water tight connection to the piping leading outside you will most likely have to remove the piping that passes through the wall and make a good, tight connection to the existing piping (probably vitrified clay) and come through the wall as plastic. This seals the deal so to speak on not having to worry about the connection leaking ever again, at least not inside. :rolleyes:

09-10-2005, 06:17 AM
Thanks - that's what I was thinking, although I was hoping there was some "easier" way. Not looking forward to digging a 4 foot deep trench.

master plumber mark
09-10-2005, 07:50 AM
is this a small pin hole that you can see

or is it more like a hair line crack???

if it is only a pin hole, I see them all the time and

for an easy cheap patch, epoxy or water proof silicone can

delay that project for many many years