PDA

View Full Version : Well water building up calcium deposits.........

kskier
02-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Is there a in-line filter to put in after the pump to eliminate calcium buildup? This is destroying coffee makers and is plugging up my washer. Any advise?

Skip Wolverton
02-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Sounds to me that you need a water softener. If you are on city water, you can get a report that show how much (calcium) you have. If you are on a well, you can buy a test kit or send it to a lab for testing.

Gary Slusser
02-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Is there a in-line filter to put in after the pump to eliminate calcium buildup? This is destroying coffee makers and is plugging up my washer. Any advise?
Hardness is made up of both calcium and magnesium and they are dissolved into the water so no sediment filter will remove any of the hardness, and you never want anything between a pump and it's pressure switch that can block up, like a filter. And pressure tanks aren't harmed by dirt.

So if your problems are caused by water hardness, you need a softener. I suggest one using a Clack WS-1 CS version control valve.

Akpsdvan
02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
There are disposable in line cartridges out there.. how long one would last is the question. How hard the water is , how much water is used..

Price of the disposable in lines is another question..

Gary Slusser
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes there are but they aren't sediment cartridges and the cartridges with softening resin in them are hard to find and as you say, very expensive, and especially if used on a "whole house" basis. That's why a water softener would be the best choice.

Peter Griffin
02-18-2010, 03:30 PM
3 votes softener. Skippy, I like your new avatar.

Akpsdvan
02-18-2010, 04:19 PM
vote change to 4...

There are other ways, but the simplest and cheapest over the long run would be the whole house softener.

Skip Wolverton
02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Thank you. I see I wasn't on top of my game. Need to reread before I post sometimes.